This is us, Torie on the left and Kaitlyn on the right. (April 2013)

This is us, Torie on the left and Kaitlyn on the right. (April 2013)

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Knowing what the Bible really says

After realizing we needed something deeper and more substantial than what we were getting at our youth group (which is based more for newer Christians) a friend and I started a Bible study. We found someone to lead it and it was a go! We invited a few select friends who we knew would really get a lot out of it but we didn't open it up to everyone because we feared it would become a place to hangout rather than a time to study the Word of God. We all wanted to be able to read the Bible and actually understand it and also wanted to grow our relationships with God. So we started this Bible study; it's been 3 weeks now and it's going GREAT!
Being able to discover what the Bible says for myself and being able to think for myself about things is so fascinating! Being able to feed myself spiritually rather than just being fed on Sundays. Before I was assuming what I'm taught in church is truth but now being able to go look in the Word  of God and see for myself, making sure what the Preacher/Pastor is teaching is truth and biblically based. Just like the Bible says in Acts 17:11  "And the people of Berea were more open-minded than those in Thessalonica, and they listened eagerly to Paul's message. They searched the Scriptures day after day to see if Paul and Silas were teaching truth." So great to see what the Bible says in comparison to what I hear from others. Believing what I believe because I know it's in the Bible is much more reassuring than believing what I believe because I heard my pastor or youth pastor say it.
Are you believing things because that's what you were taught by leaders in your church? Or are you believing them because you know that's what the Bible says?

No comments:

Post a Comment